The Tropical House was the ultimate employment of Jean Prouve's vision about prefabricated housing in the postwar era. It incorporated features designed particularly for the tropical climate, with all elements but the largest structural steel pieces, all made of aluminum. The three models were transported by airplane from Europe to remote locations in Africa to address the 1950‘s housing shortage in the French colonies.
The Maison Tropicale in Niamey, Niger was constructed as a prototype and provided housing and offices for the director of the college in Niamey; the Maison Tropicales in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo were built and connected together by a small bridge. The smaller building was used for offices for Studal and the second larger building was the residence of the aluminum company’s director.