Saying good-bye to the White City. Not Chicago, whose recreational area, built in 1905 was also called the White City, but Tel Aviv. While it was founded in 1909 on the sand north of Jaffa, Tel Aviv was developed into a metropolitan city under the British Mandate during the late 20s and the 30s. The majority of its construction during these golden years of Zionist settlement took the form of the International Style, with white buildings, designed by architects trained in Europe's most progressive schools. Seven of them were trained at the Bauhaus.