The Desert House in Palm Springs, California was designed by Richard Neutra and completed in 1946. It was commissioned by Edgar J. Kaufmann Sr., a Pittsburgh department store tycoon, who a decade earlier commissioned Frank Lloyd Wright to build Fallingwater in Pennsylvania.The Desert House was one of the last domestic projects conducted by Neutra, but it is also arguably one of his most famous homes. He sought to emphasize a connection to its
desert landscape surroundings, while at the same time to provide shelter from the harsh climatic conditions. Large sliding glass walls open the living spaces and master bedroom to adjacent patios. Major outdoor rooms are enclosed by a row of movable vertical fins that offer flexible protection against sandstorms and intense heat, were all manifesting a new type of luxurious modernism that Neutra promoted.