Crafted in brass structure and filigran glass, the lights were made for a club house in a private chalk factory in the Finnish town of Lohja. Like all ambitious design, this commission started with one ambitions patron, Peter Forsström, the founder of the factory, called Lohjan Kalkkitehdas Oy. He sought to built a factory's clubhouse that would represent the image of the factory as progressive, embodying state-of-the-art technology; he hired architect Gösta Cajannus for the project.
It was Cajannus who hired the duo Nyman-Tynell to make 6 magnificent lamps to lighten the Nordic space. In the period photos (below), it is clear that the giant golden-colored chandeliers were the highlight of the space, crowning like magnificent shining stars over the simple theater, capturing the soul of the interior. Each, measuring 78" in height and 40" in diameter, produced by Taito Oy was the result of a super complicated process. The brass massive structure came to hold the super heavy floral-inspired, organic-shaped glass that was made in the spirit of the day.
The lights represent the peek in the careers of the duo. Gunnel Nyman was moved to be the head designer for the IDMAN company, but her career was ceased during WWII, and she died in 1948, posthumously receiving the gold medals at the Milan Triennale of 1951. For Paavo Tynell, these were his successful years, when he regularly exhibited at the Finland House New York, which opened in 1947 and came to a global fame.
The six rare lights will be offered for sale in the upcoming Design and Luxury auction at Annmaris.