Today, with the improving temperature, we took a trip to the only synagogue ever designed by Phillips Johnson. When designing the Kneses Tifereth Israel Synagogue in Port Chester, New York in 1955, it was clear that the Dean of American Architecture had entered a new phase in his design vocabulary, one that would be later praised as Postmodernism. It was less known that Johnson, who in the 1930s and early 1940s, had been a proponent of Nazi Germany and a writer
of anti-semitic tracts created the synagogues for free as an act of atonement, requesting a forgiveness from the Jewish people. Originally, it has an enormous sculpture placed behind the alter, which was done by Johnson’s favorite sculptor Ibram Lassaw, which along with other furniture and other fittings by Johnson, are at the collection of the Jewish Museum today. The building, which is made ofl concrete that contains white pebbles, is sadly in a desperate condition, where all of its luster and elegance has nearly disappear.
View Our Shop For Limited Edition Items